I am finally getting around to blogging now that our baby is 2 weeks old. We had a baby boy at 11:52 am on Sunday, March 13, 2011. He weighed 7lbs 11oz and was 21 inches long. He is such a sweet calm baby, and we love all of his dark hair! We had a really hard time picking out a name. We only had 2 boy names that we liked. I liked one, and Justin wasn't sure about either of them. It took him 2 weeks to finally decided (which is why we didn't post earlier). Here is Charlie's birth story.
Since two weeks ago was daylight savings Justin and I naturally didn't go to sleep early on that Saturday night. We got to bed around 1pm. I woke up around 3:30 am for a couple seconds to feel a bunch of pressure and a feeling like a balloon popping inside of me. My water broke! My water broke with Emme too, but not like this. I calmly woke Justin up to tell him. He sat straight up in bed and yelled something I couldn't understand. Justin's family was all up in Idaho for the blessing of his sister's baby. Our plan was to call his sister Hollie if we had to go to the hospital overnight. We ended up calling our good friends Locke and Katie who conveniently live 2 floors below us. I wasn't having any contractions, so we had some time to get to the hospital. I finished packing last minute items in my hospital bag, took a shower, and got Emme's clothes, etc. ready for the next day. Katie was so wonderful and came up to sleep on our couch so we wouldn't have to wake up Emme.
By the time we left our house it was around 5:30 am. Luckily the hospital is across the street. We got in the car and were there 30 seconds later. We got checked in and situated in our room. I started having some contractions, so they decided to let me go on my own to see if they became more regular. The contractions kept getting stronger, but they were not regular. A little after 9 am they decided to give me pitocin to regulate my contractions. I also asked for an epidural since the contractions were already pretty painful. With Emme in California they numbed me so much I couldn't feel my legs at all. This time I could still move my legs and feet which was much better. I felt so much better after the epidural and was able to sleep off and on until about 11:30. The nurse came in to check me. I was 3 cm around 9:30 and when she checked this time I was almost 10 cm. The nurse went to get the doctor and prepare for the delivery. We were really surprised to be ready so soon. Justin and I were expecting a few more hours of labor. They got me all ready, then it was time to push. I pushed with 2 contractions and he was mostly out. They said he had a lot of hair. The doctor said he would hold up the baby so we could tell everyone if it was a boy or a girl. He held up the baby and it was a BOY!
Justin got to spend time with Charlie in the nursery while they gave him a bath and took care of me in the delivery room. When I was settled in my hospital room Justin went home to take a nap with Emme. He brought her to the hospital to see me and her new baby brother. I showed her that the baby in my stomach was gone and then showed her Charlie in his bed. She LOVES him. She always wants to give him hugs and kisses. She tries to help pick him up and give him his pacifier. She even tries to share some of her toys. She is a great big sister.
Charlie is so different from Emme when she was a newborn. He is such a good baby (not that Emme was terrible). All he does is eat and sleep. He only fusses a little bit when he is hungry. The only time we really hear him cry is when we give him a bath. He is just so calm and content. As long as you take care of his basic needs he is happy. He also eats and sleeps really well. He has been sleeping a 5 or 6 hour stretch during the night. He usually sleeps 3 or 4 hours during the day between feedings. He can also sleep through almost anything. He sleeps through Emme playing, singing and yelling. He even slept through us watching a BYU basketball game last week. I couldn't ask for a better baby, especially with a toddler as busy as Emme. Luckily my mom has been her since the 17th and will be here through the blessing in 2 weeks. It has really helped Emme adjust to the change.
Justin's sister Melissa took the picture of Charlie in the basket and the picture of Emme in her BYU shirt last weekend. I love this picture of Justin and Charlie because they look the same in their blue jackets :) These last pictures were taken over the weekend. He is already changing so much. I think he looks a lot like Justin. We found a newborn picture of Justin in his baby book and they look like the same baby. I will have to scan it and post the picture on here sometime soon.
We are all doing well and feel so blessed to have Charlie in our family.




9 comments:
He is sooo cute!!! Congrats! I bet Emme is the best big sister ever!
Wow. I learned a lot about having a baby. Thanks for the informative post. I am now officially terrified but can't wait to have one someday. I'd be freaking out between 3:30 and 5:30.
Congratulations to you all. Emme has changed so much since your last pictures and Charlie is so cute!
wow, you make birthing sounds so easy
love love love little charlie! and i STILL can't get over how cute Emme is when she says his name!
xoxo
Congrats Katie and Justin. Thanks for sharing your birth story.
He is adorable. I love the name Charlie. Thanks for sharing the birth story, i love hearing about it. He looks soo much like Justin. What a cutie (Charlie, i mean. It would be weird if i called Justin a cutie.)
Congrats! What a cute little guy!
Glad that the birth went well and that everything is going smoothly for you. We love your family!
i LOVE hearing baby stories! so cute! what a great pic to get of his wrinkled forehead.baby boys look so much like old men! love it!
Post a Comment