Katie told me that I needed to make a post about how I am always able to find the best deals. So here goes nothing.
About a week and a half ago, I went to Macy's to buy a suit. (My suit finally bit the dust about a month ago). Macy's was having a sale, so I thought I would take advantage of a sale that they were having. After a lot of looking around, I decided that I would get an 2 button dark navy Alfani suit (Thanks Brandon!!!). The original price was $450.00, but because of the sale, it was 40% off, dropping the price to $270. However, prior to going to Macy's, I found a coupon online for an additional 20% off, dropping the price to $216.00.
After getting fitted for the suit, I went down and got some dress pants and a few shirts, as they were also on sale. But the purchase that I was most excited about was the following: (They say a picture is worth a thousand words, don't they?)
Can we say Burgandy Loafers with Tassels?? Whoa!!!! I have always wanted a pair of shoes like this, and this was my time to get them. They were originally $150.00, but were marked down to $109.00. I thought that I would be able to use the 15% off coupon, but found out that since these are considered designer shoes (Cole Hann), that the coupon can't be used. I ended up buying them, but spent a lot of time contemplating taking them back. After all, do I really need a pair of shoes that costs $109.00???
Last weekend, I was looking online at the Macy's website and noticed that they were on sale for $99.00. Not most of you probably wouldn't bat an eye at saving $10.00, but I am the kind of guy who will drive across town to save 5 cents a gallon on gas. So on Monday, I took my receipt back to Macy's to get the difference in price refunded (Macy's has a 10 day price match guarantee). Come to find out, the sale for $99.00 had ended the day earlier, but after asking if they would still give me that price, the salesperson agreed to do so. To make matters even better, she told me that starting on Wednesday of this week, Macy's annual friends and family sale would be starting with was 25% off everything (including these shoes). Although the sale wouldn't start until Wednesday, she would give me the extra 25% off!!! A deal like this only happens once in a great blue moon, so what did I do? I took advantage of course, and also ended up with the following:Burgandy Penny Loafers. So when all was said and done, I ended up with 1 pair of loafers with Tassels and 1 pair of Penny Loafers for only $40 more than I had originally paid for the pair of Loafers with Tassels. IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK
But the story even has one more happy ending. I was curious today to find out if I could have gotten my suit any cheaper if I had waited to buy it today. I called the suit department and found out that the same suit is now 50% off. However, it has been more than 10 days so I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to get a price match. However, It never hurts to ask!! I asked the salesperson if there is any way that they would match the price, even though it had been more than 10 days. After thinking about it for a second, he told me that he could (just to come in and ask for him). After work today I will be going into Macy's to get my price adjustment. Oh, did I fail to mention that I will be coupling the 50% off with the 25% coupon that I have as part of the friends and family sale that is going on. So the suit that I got for $216 will now be only $168.75 ($450.00 original price, less $250.00 (for the 50% off sale). Then applying the 25% off coupon to $250, the final price comes out to $168.75.
The morel of this blog post is IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK!!!! Just by asking, I saved myself over $200.00 off of the already on sale priced items. While you may not always save by asking, the worst that can happen is they say no. But you never know unless you ask.
This post is dedicated to my mother who taught me the art of bargaining. Thanks Mom!!!
16 years ago



2 comments:
Love it! That is so something Mom would do. Justin, you definitely have the talent! And I love that you now are the proud owner of 2 pairs of burgundy loafers...remember when we always used to tease you about those?! Haha. So glad Katie made you write this post!
I am so glad someone else in this world thinks the way I do. Saving even $2 haunts my mind
Post a Comment