All three of us were signed up for swimming classes in July this year. Emme was taking her second session because she didn't like to put her face in the water, and I was signed up for a mommy and me class with Charlie. We completed the first week of classes, went on our trip to Cedar City, then went back to class on Monday.
We had all finished getting dressed. I was literally zipping our bag and was going to walk out the door 5 seconds later when Emme said, "Look mom!" I looked over and saw Emme jumping off a bench in the locker room. The benches connect to make a circle. As she was landing in slow motion I saw that she was falling forward. She ended up falling and hitting her mouth on the bench in front of her. She started screaming the minute she landed and I knew immediately that she was really hurt. I ran over and opened her mouth. All I could see was bloody displaced teeth. I ran and got paper towel for her to hold over her mouth, picked up our bag, put one kid under each arm and ran all the way to the car.
I called Justin in a panic to let him know what happened. He headed home right away. Luckily, the hospital was only a few blocks away. I took her into the ER. When they looked in her mouth, one of her top front teeth had already fallen out and was floating around in her mouth. She cried for a good half hour while we were in the hospital. We watched cartoons while we waited. There was a show on about a shark that had a broken tooth. What are the chances of that?! The doctor looked at her mouth and said it only looked like the teeth had been hurt. She had no other cuts or injuries to her mouth or on her face. They called a pediatric dentist for us and set up and emergency appointment. They gave Emme some Motrin for the pain right before we left. Justin got to the ER just as we were walking out to the car.
We all got into the car and headed up to the dentist, which was in Lehi. Emme and Charlie slept almost the whole way. I was glad she could get some rest. I couldn't believe what had happened. I was a basket case. My beautiful 3 year old daughter just knocked her teeth out! I couldn't believe the pain I was feeling for her. I felt sick.
The dentist where we were referred was great. The dentist was amazing with Emme. She was never scared or nervous. They took some x-rays and decided to pull her other top front tooth. It was all out of place and I knew it had to come out even before the x-rays. There was also one of the next teeth on the top that was loose, but they just asked us to watch it and hoped it would firm up. She had shots and laughing gas so they could pull the tooth. She did such a great job, and got a princess wand from their toy basket.
We stopped by the store on the way home to pick up some medicine and soft food for her to eat over the next week. We let her pick out a small toy, and she insisted we get Charlie one too. She is such a good big sister.
Emme practically only ate yogurt, jello, and PediaSure for the next week. We didn't want to risk having her loose tooth fall out. She learned really fast how to carefully eat food and to not be so rough while she played. I was surprised how quickly her mouth healed. That first day was terrible, but Emme started to act like herself again by the night of the accident. That made me feel so much better, and I feel like her missing teeth just add to her crazy fun personality.
I didn't want to take any pictures of her for a few days, so these pictures are from 3 days later. She didn't want to take any at first, but I kept saying, "Don't smile!" They turned out so cute!





0 comments:
Post a Comment